Tuesday, April 12, 2011

FLORIDIAN INVASION PART I: INITIAL ENTRY & ORLANDO

I entered Florida on March 28th and in a days time I drove through Jacksonville, St. Augustine, and Daytona Beach.


St. Augustine is also for Lovers:

Part of my goal for this trip is to “scout” places I would potentially be willing to live at and places that would be good to take the family on vacation one day.

St. Augustine is another place that has a unique culture all it’s own.  Founded in the 16th Century, it’s the oldest existing port city in the United States today. It is a port city and in addition to the unique structures it also has a lot of pirate-y places and stuff.  There were mostly couples around the old city part, and family in the beach part so it could be a family trip too, but seems like a great place to go for couples.  A car in front of me half way down the trip had “just married” written on their jeep and were headed for St. Augustine as well.  It was close to nightfall when I got there so I didn’t get a lot of pictures but a very cool place.

I slept at a cheap place outside of Daytona Beach since I had been driving all day.  Other than the International Speedway and a beach, I didn't think there was anything overly significant there.  The next morning I drove around a bit and before getting on I-4 and heading for Orlando.

Orlando:

I liked Orlando, but it wasn't the greatest, partially because it rained the whole time I was there.  The first day I arrived in the early afternoon and didn't have time to do much but go to this TBN sponsored place called "The Holy City".  It was a little over the top.  Maybe take your kids there for good interactive biblical stories and lessons.  It was a neat set up though and if I had more time there I probably would have enjoyed it better.  But like everything TBN does, a little much.  

I spent the next day at Universal Studios and had a blast there and met some cool people as well.  I also met people from all over the east coast at the Jimmy Buffett restaurant at the City Walk.  I tried to at least stop by Cinderalla's Castle the next day, but it was pouring down raining and my windshield wipers weren't working, so I left Orlando.  It would be weird for a 25 year old man to go to Disney World by himself, so I'll save that one for the kids.  

2 comments:

  1. After living in Orlando for eight years... still can't really tell you why they call Florida the Sunshine State... it's not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...in more ways than one ha

    ReplyDelete